Here are important facts you need to know about Chief Ernest Shonekan, the former head of the Interim National Government that succeeded the military junta of General Ibrahim Babangida on August 25, 1993, who died on Tuesday at 85.
1. He was born on May 9, 1936 into a family of six children and had his education at the CMS Grammar School and Igbobi College, Lagos before bagging a law degree from the University of London.
2. Shonekan who also studied at Harvard Business School was a lawyer and businessman by profession before he ventured into politics.
See Five Nollywood Actors/Actresses Who Died In January 2021
3. He was given the Abese of Egbaland in 1981 in addition to various other titles he held.
4. He served as chairman and chief executive of the United African Company of Nigeria which succeeded the Niger Company.
5. The boardroom guru was made chairman and managing director of United Africa Company of Nigeria in 1980.
6. Shonekan served as the interim Head of State of Nigeria from August 25, 1993 to November 17, 1993.
7. His interim National Government was ousted by the late General Sani Abacha, who was then the Chief of Army Staff.
8. He founded the Nigerian Economic Summit Group, an advocacy group and think-tank for private sector-led development of the Nigerian economy.
BREAKING: Nollywood Actor Ernest Asuzu Is Dead
9. Shonekan was married to Margaret Shonekan and they have four children, Adeboye, Korede, Kemi and Yele.
10. He was announced dead on January 11, 2022.
Follow us on Facebook
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.