Festus Keyamo, the Director of Media and Public Affairs and Official Spokesperson for the All Progressives Congress, APC, Campaign Council, has claimed that Peter Obi, the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, was planning to stage an assassination attempt on himself and hire supporters dressed in APC caps and shirts to attack his party’s offices.
Keyamo made the claims in a statement released on Monday.
According to Anaedoonline.ng, Keyamo had previously accused Obi of spreading a hate-filled film online in order to smear the APC’s presidential candidate, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu.
This comes after Obi accused Nigerians of being blinded by Tinubu’s money and voting for him despite his illness.
While demanding Obi to provide the source and name(s) of the perpetrators behind the vague WhatsApp message he mentioned in the video, the minister stated that it was clear Obi purposefully manufactured the message and spread the inflammatory video himself as a campaign strategy.
He said, “Our attention has been drawn to an offensive, hate-filled video made and circulated by the presidential candidate of the Labour Party, Mr. Peter Obi, in which he accused an amorphous and non-existent “Tinubu’s Group” of spreading a WhatsApp message calling on the Yoruba people not to vote for him. The purported message, according to Mr. Obi, forewarned the Yoruba that a vote for Obi would be a vote for a seaport in South-South and South-East.
“We are also aware that plans are afoot by Mr. Peter Obi to fake an assassination attempt on himself and hire Labour Party boys dressed in the APC caps and T-shirts to attack some Labour Party offices. It is all part of the “US Plan”. It is the first in a series of incendiary actions planned by this ill-prepared but desperate candidate.”
Keyamo further denied the existence of any Tinubu-led campaign urging people not to vote for Obi.
He contended that Nigerians had now realized that Obi’s views lack substance and clear-cut solutions to the country’s problems.
He stated that the LP flag bearer’s remarks are just full of bogus statistics and jargons designed to divert attention away from an examination of his empty records as Governor of Anambra State, and that this is why he has opted to play the ethnic card.
Keyamo emphasized that evidence reaching them has suggested that the video is Obi’s strategy to incite racial animosity among voters and afterwards claim victimhood.
“We find it utterly disgusting, demeaning and insulting to the sensitivities and sensibilities of Nigerians for a presidential candidate of the ilk of Peter Obi to make such a video parroting a spurious, unverified and sham message that has the potential of deepening our fault lines as a nation and further promoting ethnic tensions. This is completely unbecoming of a presidential candidate that hopes to unite this country.
“Again, we note that Mr. OBJ’s latest stunt is consistent with what is now widely perceived as his adoption of hate as campaign strategy, having consistently failed to rein in his known and identifiable supporters, mostly domiciled on social media, threatening political opponents with violence and death,” he said.
He subsequently called on Nigerians to condemn Obi’s actions.
Follow us on Facebook
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.