AnaedoOnline
Featured Posts News

We’ve No Plan To Ban Any Social Media Platform Again, But…

The Nigerian government has stated that it has no plans to re-ban any social media network in the country.

Alhajir Lai Mohammed, the Minister of Information, revealed this at a news conference in Abuja on Thursday.

According to the Minister, the federal government would not stand by and watch any platform push our country into catastrophe.

The government, on the other hand, stated that it will continue to monitor developments around Twitter following its takeover by a new owner.

We’re Monitoring Twitter’s Change of Ownership – FG Reveals

Advertisement

The Minister stated that the platform was suspended last year due to some elements’ proclivity to use it to destabilize Nigeria through fake news, disinformation, and hate speech.

Mohammed emphasized that while the government has no intention of prohibiting the media from carrying out its duty, it will not allow any platform to be exploited to plunge the country into anarchy.

The minister said, ” Many have called to ask us what will become of our agreement with Twitter in view of the change in its ownership. Many have asked for our reaction following reports that there has been a spike in fake news, disinformation and hate speech since the micro-blogging site changed ownership. Many have even asked us if another ban is in the offing?

“Let me say this: We are closely monitoring the evolving developments at Twitter. It has never been our intention to ban any social media platform or stifle free speech. Not at all. What happened in the case of Twitter is well known to all. Twitter became a platform of choice for those who want to destabilize Nigeria, using fake news, disinformation and hate speech.

See Number Of Followers Buhari Lost On Twitter

“No nation will allow any social media platform to plunge it into anarchy. Definitely not Nigeria. But we have continued to engage positively with the different social media platforms, including Facebook, Google (owners of YouTube) and Twitter.

“We have no intention of banning any social media platform again. But we will also not sit by and allow any platform whatsoever to throw our nation into crisis,” the minister said.

Advertisement

 

Follow us on Facebook

Comments

comments

Advertisement
Post Disclaimer

The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.

Stories you may like

Advertisement