According to the Independent National Electoral Commission, the preparations made so far for the elections in 2023 are satisfactory.
Mahmood Yakubu, the chairman of INEC, stated as much on Tuesday at the Chatham House in London.
“We have done all possible to ensure that the general election in 2023 is free, free, and credible as we have promised Nigerians and friends of Nigerians.
We have worked closely with stakeholders and development partners to confront these challenges, and we are satisfied with our preparations so far. However, like with all elections, especially those requiring the extensive national deployment like we do in Nigeria, it will inevitably come with challenges.
Lamenting the continuous attacks on its facilities nationwide, the INEC Chairman said despite the attacks, elections would hold.
He said, “In four years, 50 facilities attacked in various parts of the country. The implication of the attacks is that we have to rebuild facilities and replace materials. The commission and security agencies have increased their presence in some of these locations. The last attack happened on Sunday last week but because of the cooperation between the military and the electoral commission, we were able to respond and the damage was limited to just a section of the building in a local government office.
“The commission has repeatedly called for concerted efforts to control and check these attacks and in December last year, the National Assembly held a public hearing on these attacks and we hope that authorities have these attacks under control and the response by the security agencies is more coordinated.
“But inspite of these attacks, we will rebuild facilities and replace damaged and lost items, the elections will hold.”
Follow us on Facebook
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.