The Arewa Youths Consultative Forum (AYCF) deemed the federal government led by Muhammadu Buhari’s administration’s attitude to Nigerian citizens stranded in the unstable Sudan “unacceptable.”
According to news sources, Buhari’s administration said on Friday that it is now unable to evacuate Nigerian students from Sudan.
In response to requests to evacuate Nigerians caught in the ongoing crisis in Sudan, the Federal Government made this statement.
Since combat broke out last Saturday between soldiers loyal to Sudan’s army leader, Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, and his deputy, Mohamed Hamdan Daglo, who is in charge of the paramilitary Rapid Support soldiers (RSF), at least 300 people have died.
Although the Nigerian Mission in Sudan and the National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) have put plans in place to evacuate Nigerian students and other Nigerian citizens who are stranded in Sudan, the tense situation makes it gravely risky and impractical for any flights at this time, according to Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman/CEO of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission.
Yerima Shettima, the national president of AYCF, expressed his reaction in a statement issued to Newsmen on Saturday, saying the forum is deeply troubled by the plight of Nigerians stuck in Sudan as a result of the ongoing conflict and atrocities.
He said: “It is totally unacceptable that while several countries were evacuating their citizens from Sudan, ours is the only African nation giving excuses.
“With thousands of Nigerians in Sudan, especially male and female Northern students being the majority, we reject the lame excuse given in a letter by the Nigeria Embassy about the difficulty of evacuating our sons and daughters. No Northerner in this country is at peace since the killings and arson started in Sudan.
“We are aware that the Sudanese government had already warned that the situation would escalate, and gave 72 hours ultimatum for countries whose citizens are either doing business or schooling in that country to be evacuated. We cannot fathom why all we get at the moment is the excuse by our Embassy that doing so would be difficult. What held us from taking advantage of the 72 hours ultimatum in the first place?
“It is abundantly clear that lives are now at stake, especially for our Northern brothers and sisters schooling in Sudan, considering the escalation of this war, that involves the use of heavy-duty incendiary.
“As a group, we wish to make it categorically clear that if our innocent Northern brothers and sisters schooling in Sudan get killed in this war, we shall hold the Nigerian Embassy in Sudan accountable.
“We wish to emphasize that on no account should these young and innocent Nigerians be left to their own devices, because they have a fatherland that has the constitutional and legal responsibility to protect the lives of citizens anywhere they are on this planet.”
Follow us on Facebook
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.