Through the office of the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, the Federal Government stated today that all Nigerians who were stranded in Sudan had been successfully repatriated.
The authorities had declared the arrival of the second group of Nigerians who had escaped the unstable Sudan. The second group of evacuees entered the nation two days after the first group did so on Wednesday via Abuja’s Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport.
According to Newsen, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NiDCOM), said that if four aircraft could leave at the same time, every Nigerian who was stuck in Sudan could be returned home.
Three thousand more Nigerians are anticipated to return, she said.
According to today’s statement from Dr. Sani Gwarzo, Permanent Secretary of the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, all citizens stuck in the troubled Sudanese city of Khartoum have been received.
When he met the second group of 130 evacuees at the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja on Friday, he revealed this.
The citizens are reported to have flown from Port Sudan in a TARCO Aircraft B373-300 and arrived at the airport’s Pilgrims Terminal at precisely 3:10 p.m. local time.
“I’m happy to announce that we have successfully removed everybody that needs to be removed out of Khartoum. None of your colleagues today are in Khartoum, all of them have moved.
“You were the first batch to move out of Khartoum and sent to the Egyptian border, we still have a few of them, while some have already arrived in Nigeria.
“Though, majority of them will be arriving in the next eight hours or more. By that time, no Nigerian would have been left on the Egyptian border,” Gwarzo said.
He said the second batch of evacuees was airlifted from Port Sudan.
“But we have made adequate arrangements for everybody to be airlifted within the next few days. We have almost 1, 700 people over there and we have made adequate arrangements for flights to bring them back home. The good news is that no life has been lost,” Gwarzo added saying among the 130 evacuees, two are men while the rest are women and children.
He assured the public that the team would continue to prioritize women, children, and the ailing ones among them.
Follow us on Facebook