Benue State University (BSU) in Makurdi has taken the decision to suspend 200 to 600 level Medical Students from its College of Health Sciences for a period of one month. The move comes after these students staged a protest on October 25, 2023, to highlight the lack of water and adequate hostel accommodation in the institution, issues they claim the management has failed to address.
In an official statement released by the Registrar of the university, Dr. Mfaga Modom, the affected students are instructed to vacate their hostels immediately and are expected to return on Wednesday, November 29, 2023.
The statement also outlines the following key points:
- A committee will be established to investigate the underlying causes of the protest and provide appropriate advice.
- The top management of the College of Health Sciences will implement the recommendations of various committees formed in response to the student’s demonstration.
- Upon their return, students must present a sworn affidavit from a competent court attesting to their good conduct and must be accompanied by a parent or guardian who will sign an undertaking.
- The Benue State University Medical Students Association (BESUMSA) has been suspended until further notice.
- 200 to 600 level Medical Students are directed to vacate their hostels promptly.
- Academic activities for 100-level students in the College of Health Sciences will continue without interruption.
This suspension is a response to the protest and is aimed at restoring order while the university addresses the grievances and issues raised by the protesting medical students. It is expected that the investigative committee will play a crucial role in resolving these concerns and ensuring a conducive learning environment for all students.
- IPOB women protest, demand Nnamdi Kanu’s release
- NLC Protests The ASUU Strike In Ilorin
- #EndSARS: My Wife Protesting, The Nigerian Police Force Is In A Mess – Policeman
Follow us on Facebook