Nigerians who missed yesterday’s deadline for the Continuous Voters Registration, or CVR, have urged the Independent National Electoral Commission, or INEC, to prolong the process.
According to Anaedoonline.ng, numerous registration sites were overwhelmed on Sunday by impatient Nigerians trying to beat the deadline set by the electoral commission on June 25.
Recall that INEC had extended the application period from June 30 to July 31 in 2022 to allow eligible Nigerians to do so in advance of the general elections in 2023.
Many Nigerians have yet to register, despite the service being extended to churches and other locations in an effort to facilitate registration.
On Sunday, when Newsmen visited certain polling places in Abuja, prospective voters were furious and screaming about alleged plans to deny some Nigerians the right to vote.
One of the irate PVC applicants, Mr. Ojo K.T, told our correspondent that he had been trying to register since Monday while speaking with him in the Kubwa CVR center.
He said, “I think they just don’t want us to vote. Look at the people that are going to be denied the opportunity to participate in the election. What is wrong in this country?
“If you look around, you will notice that most of us here that have been here since 3am this morning are youths. They are afraid of the revolution that is coming and that is why they are deliberately pushing us away”.
He asserted that protest is the only language that the administration of President Mummadu Buhari comprehends, adding that “we must take to the streets to demand the continuation of the exercise.”
Nobody should infringe our right to vote since it is a fundamental freedom.
According to Anaedoonline.ng, some of the facilities lack the necessary exercise equipment.
Despite the crowd that has been swarming the center since the activity began, only two computers were visible in the Bwari INEC office.
Goodluck Ibem, President General of the Coalition of South East Youth Leaders, COSEYL, expressed regret that some Southeast residents were unable to register for the exercise in an interview with Newsmen.
He said, “The 2022 voters’ registration exercise looks like a calculated attempt by some politicians to deny the people of Southeast the opportunity of registering for their voter’s card”.
According to him, the Southeast was deliberately deprived of adequate equipment for the exercise, alleging that the situation is different in parts of the North.
“In the North, we are very aware that the INEC provided sufficient and adequate registration materials for the exercise”, he added.
Similarly, an activist, Adetunji Abiola told our correspondent that the failure of the electoral body to extend the registration exercise may cause mass protest across the country.
He said, “Now that Nigerian youths want to fully participate in elections for the first time, we have been denied the opportunity to do that. I can tell you that over a million Nigerian youths are going to be disenfranchised if we don’t act on time.
“We give this government at least a week to reopen the INEC portal for more registration or they may force us to the street so that the international community can come to our aid”.
However, the INEC National Commissioner for Voter Education and Publicity, Barr. Festus Okoye, ruled out the prospect of extending the exercise in a conversation with journalists on Saturday in Awka, the capital of Anambra State.
Follow us on Facebook
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.